TECHNET Archives

September 2011

From:
Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2011 07:07:02 -0500
Joe,
Our thoughts and prayers are with your city.  Having had 10 square miles
of Cedar Rapids under water in 2008, we know exactly what you are going
through.

What I would suggest is that you contact Greg Vorhis
([log in to unmask])  of Coastal Technical Services.  I have
had the opportunity to work with Greg at IPC meetings for the past 5 years
or so.  He contributed a great deal to the field cleaning section of
CH-65.  Coastal Technical Services is a company that does disaster recover
and so has handled situations like yours before.  I have copied Greg on
this e-mail and would ask him to reply.

If he cannot help you, give me a call.  I did some similar work when I was
at CSL.

Doug Pauls

"Kane, Joseph E (US SSA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
09/11/2011 02:14 PM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
"Kane, Joseph E (US SSA)" <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
[TN] Cleaning Up After The Flood

Tropical Storm Lee dumped about 9 inches of rain on Binghamton, and we got
the second hundred-year flood in five years.  But this one was lots worse
than in 2006.  Cities and towns were inundated, and a lot of people have
lost their homes here.  And this time the Susquehanna River overtopped the
levee and flooded our plant.

The water has receded and we were able to send people inside yesterday to
assess damage.  A lot of our product is wet and muddy, from components on
reels on up to finished assemblies.  And essentially all of our assembly
and test equipment has been at least partly submerged.

Not sure if we can get some of our cleaning equipment restored soon,
including aqueous batch dishwashers and an in-line aqueous cleaner.  If we
have to clean product in buckets or tubs, we're thinking about these
steps:

1. Soapy/alkaline water solution, scrub as necessary
2. At least two rinses, last one DI
3. Blow off with compressed air (or nitrogen if available)
4. Bake
5. Ionic contamination testing on samples

Our conformal coat is mostly urethane.  Some assemblies have unsealed
connectors, switches, and pots.  Some motherboard/front panel assemblies
have lots of wires.

Anybody have any experience cleaning river mud from electronics?

Joe Kane
BAE Systems
Johnson City, NY

For additional information, or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or