TECHNET Archives

September 2011

From:
Steven Creswick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steven Creswick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Sep 2011 06:02:12 -0400
Bob,

Since no one else has had the opportunity to chime in, how about a modified
approach - if you have the room on the board.

Take short lengths of the nickel battery terminal strips and pre-wet approx
1/2 the length, using whatever aggressive [WS] flux you desire, in your
solder alloy/pot of choice.  Toss them into a beaker and clean.  Solder the
pre-tinned end to your board.

Either have the contact strips lay flat on the board surface, or have them
formed at a 90 degree angle, whichever best suits the application.  Not sure
if your welder will work in a 'pinching' type application, or it is only set
up for a parallel 'spot' config.

Wouldn't ENIG work out okay for soldering the wires and contact strips to
the PWB?  If you soldered the pre-wetted contact strips couldn't you just go
back to 'normal' 1 oz foil - assuming you have negligible currents involved.

Alternatively, can the wires be welded to the battery strips directly,
without the PWB?

Can you do the inverse - take the pre-wetted contact strips and spot weld
them to the battery strips, leaving the solder surface exposed, and then
solder the wires to them?  Possibly make the pre-tinned end of the battery
terminal strip part of the 'normal' battery interconnect assembly instead of
a separate piece, such that after all the battery interconnects are done,
you have a 'tinned' piece/area left over for wire attachment?

I will crawl back under my rock now  :-)

Best wishes

Steve Creswick
Sr Associate - Balanced Enterprise Solutions
http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevencreswick
616 834 1883