TECHNET Archives

September 2011

From:
John Goulet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2011 20:26:22 +0000
I agree and never purchased an internal spray fluxer for the Electrovert Electras. We had the foam fluxer for OA flux and the external spray fluxer for the No-Clean process. I had a sealed cover made for the foam fluxer so that when it wasn't used it was covered. You don't want cross contamination from No-Clean flux dripping into the foam fluxer.

The USI ultrasonic spr ay fluxers were installed outside the machine in their enclosure with a filter overhead with its separate vent.

The Elec tras had the extended rails so the spra y fluxer slides under the conveyor and the  filtered hood and sides cover the fluxer area.

   The spra y fluxer only sprays a controlled mount starting at the beginning of the board or wave pallet and stopping at the end or an inch from the rear of the wave pallet. The side to side travel is also controlled so your not spaying all over the rails except of course if your not using wave pallets.

-   The operators must be instru cted to operate the  spray fluxer with the hood closed, any over spray is caught by the filter which we clean every week.

- There was problem in the beginning and cleaning and maintenance was increased when some operators were running with the safety hood up to see the spray fluxer working and the pallets were staying in the conveyor fingers, especially with an automat ed system feeding the wave solder line. A differnet subject for another day.

- The stainless steel switch, up in the vent, is connect ed fire suppression system and  the wave's safety interlock system.

  The battery backup option will allow the conveyor and PC to work to get the boards out.

 The wave solder machine also has a  vent sensor to  detect that the established ventillation requirement is met.

  If there is a motor failure in the main vent system that draws from all three vents then the alarm will sound but not shut down the system unless you have the alarm software set to hard alarm versus soft alarm. With the soft alarm mode y ou  can unload the boards from the system and shu t it down and do the required PM. W ith the Hard S top A larm you'd have to open up the preheater covers and pull the boards out, loosing the unsoldered parts, just horrible and not something you want to do.

 W ith alcohol based fluxes there is no flux dripping onto the 1st preheater if your spraying the correct amount.

 W ith No-Clean water based fluxes there definately is a lot of flux  dripping onto the plate of the Electra wave before the 1st preheater and a little that actually drops onto the 1st preheater when your using selective solder pallets.

Aluminum foil placed o ver the flat spacer plate is easier to replace at the end of the week than scraping the plate clean. With the water based  flux, VOC-Free)     The cold flux can hit the thermocouple on the convection prehater  and cause a false alarm where it detects that the temperature of the whole heater is  out of spec. A convection heater is a lot cooler than the rods of an IR heater and the air flow has many benefits.

The Vitronic Delta series, as I recall the spray fluxer was internal, I remeber how hoard it was to get the gauges and solenoids.

 We never had a problem with them. On the MySelective robotic type solder system, it had a programmabel bubblejet spra y fluxers to spray the individual joints.

  We were using alcohol based flux at that company and never had a problem and cleaning was easy enough.