TECHNET Archives

September 2011

From:
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2011 13:19:33 -0500
Besides the cleaning issues, the other bad part of having flux ultrasonically sprayed inside of the wave solder machine is this:
The exhaust to the machine must be on when the pot is on, ie, hard-wired to the pot on/off switch. This is an OSHA requirement. This requirement is the result of chimney fires from the pot being on with no exhaust. The heat from the pot still goes up the chimney, but without the benefit of the exhaust blower being on, the flux flux residues inside the chimney melt and drop down into the pot and ignite. This starts a chimney fire, and once the flux gets to burning, it is a very hot fire that is almost impossible to extinguish.
So if you do use an ultrasonic sprayer, it is better that it is in its own separate housing or fluxing unit just prior to entering the machine. Else be sure to clean the exhaust stack at least twice per year.
The flux will also get all over the infrared preheater lamps and bake on such that it is very difficult to clean, and will reduce the efficiency of the lamps.