TECHNET Archives

September 2011

From:
"Nowland, Russell Howard (Russell)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Nowland, Russell Howard (Russell) <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2011 08:51:18 -0500
Prashant,

The main reason you may/would want your own DFM guidelines is:

1) The DFM guidelines define "your" process and capabilities.  If you're not an OEM or EMS and don't have a process they you need something like the IPC Guidelines as a starting point.
2) The DFM guidelines define "your" technology.  For instance RF products have their own unique design criteria.  Other technologies do too and therefore you may need to define specific rules.
3) Not to say anything bad about the IPC Guidelines as they are a great starting point, but they are created around a group consensus.  By that I am saying they are not the tightest of standards.
4) You may have some unique equipment, fixturing, technology unique to you process that you need to define.
5) As you identify a unique situation where you need to define a specific criteria for your DFM you can do it quickly where updating an IPC guideline can take years.
6) I have done several comparisons between EMS's, OEM's, and our standards and they all vary.  Some are more design friendly (vendor A) and some are ultra conservative (vendor B).  If you identify what works well for you (meets your technology and space constraints) then you know no matter where you move your product it should perform well.  If you design to Vendor B and move it to vendor A you could have issues.
7) With the introduction of SMT, DFM Guidelines are more about inspection, repair, and reliability.  By that I mean I can place component closer than I can inspect and repair.  I can also create situations where I can affect the reliability.
8) you may be designing product that will go to multiple manufacturing sites/EMS.  And each site or EMS may have therefore own DFM guidelines.  Whose DFM guidelines do you design to?

Good Luck

RUSSELL NOWLAND
ALCATEL-LUCENT
REPAIR ENGINEERING SUPPORT