TECHNET Archives

September 2011

From:
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 2011 10:07:08 -0500
Just gotta laugh at that, Mike, but not at you. I work in environments you would not believe.

Welcome to my worlds, where things like paste handling are audited twice per week by licensed independent QAs. The PURCHASED LOT (not manufactured lot) sample of the paste is first sent out to a 3rd party analysis house, who tests it and provides my clients an independent certification plus all test data. Concurrently, the receiving inspection departments do the same, but to a more advanced degree (don't ask me what they do, I won't tell). Every tube is chip coded and radio tagged into refrigerated inventory. There are trackIDs placed on each tube as they come in. When they are placed into the fridge, the chip scanner on the inside of the door records their entry and automatically tracks the time into refrigeration and time it leaves, and prints a label for the ten day pot life when it leaves. Once it leaves, it cannot be put back into the fridge without sending an alarm and an email notifying us that someone tried to put the paste back into the fridge. Every time paste is put onto the stencil, the printer automatically scans the chip and records each dispensation, and again sends out an alarm and email if the pot life is expired. When prepped for printing on the centrifuge, the temperature is scanned, and a viscosity test is performed and the viscosity and temperature are recorded when dispensed to the printer. If they are not within range, the printer shuts down. Every board print is scanned by a 3D paste inspection system, and the CpK is monitored on a real time basis. Every CCA printed has the trackID of the paste automatically recorded into its attribute fields for traceability purposes. If the CpK goes above or below the 7 sigma limits, the printer shuts down and we get an automatic email notifying us.

Our qualifications are done with all variables deliberately set per process FMEA (included in the qual plan) to be worst possible case, trying for failure, not acceptance. Sod's law is carried out to the very extreme.

The last time I performed a paste qualification at one of these clients, 6 candidates were brought in. Multiple lots of each of the 6 candidates were used. Only one survived. It did not just pass evaluation, it passed a multitude of testing. 3 of the other 5 candidates survived the first round. Two survived to the 3rd round.

I was lucky to get a paste qualified.

But I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that what was qualified was absolutely the best.