TECHNET Archives

September 2011

From:
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 2011 07:36:06 -0500
There is always a small amount of voiding seen in "flat" solder joints such as larger chip capacitors/resistors, or under belly pad components, etc.
However, there should not be so much voiding seen that you would ever get a failure at ESS.
There are solder pastes available that display a significant reduction in voids, as well as improved wetting.
If you are uncomfortable with the amount of voiding being seen, you may wish to evaluate a new paste, but be prepared to perform a thorough qualification, including for solder fines, wetting test, slump test, etc.