TECHNET Archives

September 2011

From:
Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2011 19:11:36 +0200
Carl,

You have seemingly got several enlightening and supportive messages from the
wisest of the wise. I have a comment too, not so rich in word as from guru
Stadem, but should be added to your collection. When you mentioned the look
of the gold, the following crossed my mind.  Gold seen by your eyes is not
what the microscope is seeing. The crystal size and the agglomeration of
crystals is many a times deciding what will be the joining result, either it
is wire bonding or glueing or soldering. Depending on the bath type, the
current or no current, the exposure time, metal additives etc the crystal
size varies from 100 A to 20,000 or more ! That has an impact on both the
wetting and the resulting solder joint. If you place 'cleanliness' as factor
number one for getting a good soldering, I'd put the the above as number
two.

I send to you offline three examples of gold microstructure, all with
different wettability and final solder properties. The images you get are
from electrodeposited gold, but all treatments behave likewise i.e. a
spectra of microstructures. I've pointed at this several times and wanted
microstructural properties implemented in the purchasing specifications, but
most of the involved groand and looked terrified.