TECHNET Archives

August 2011

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2011 15:59:32 -0500
Hi gang! Just to extend Ben's details with one comment - as Ben described
below, the lack of a heel fillet may not be an issue for this product in
its use environment. The JSTD only sets up an industry general best
practices solder joint criteria basis and can't cover all situations. You
could conduct some type of stress test on the product that is relevant to
its use environment demonstrating that a heel fillet isn't necessary for
that product in that application. Extensive testing wouldn't be necessary,
just a testing plan focused on the product and its use environment
conditions. Good Luck.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

"Gumpert, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
08/25/2011 03:23 PM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
"Gumpert, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] FW: [TN] Gull Wing Lead - no heel fillet

The J-STD-001 requirements describe a standard solder joint that will be
strong enough for a variety of component and printed circuit board
combinations but...

If there's no CTE mismatch between the part and PCB then you may not need
a heel fillet.
If there's enough compliance in the leads then you may not need a heel
fillet.
If there's enough soldered area under the flat part of the lead, then you
may not need a heel fillet.

Most of us don't want to do the calculations for every part (even if we
knew how) to determine what solder joint is really needed, so we go by the
J-STD, which is probably overkill in some cases.

Ben