TECHNET Archives

August 2011

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2011 11:00:00 -0400
Here are my thoughts.  The acceptance criteria in J-STD-001 and IPC-A-610
are visual acceptance criteria.
They presume certain things about the materials, methods and designs of
subject products.

When a design does not conform to the presumptions, how the criteria cannot
be applied?  Is the absence of a heel fillet, when the design does not
provide for one, a cause for rejection?

Given a good overlap and a good solder connection, the resulting bond
between the component lead and the board land pattern may well exceed the
peel strength of the metal foil.

The problem is we cannot infer the quality of the connection from the
physical appearance of the connection. The design does not provide us with
the proper features from which we observe evidence of wetting, from which we
infer IM formation and bond.

Is this different from many new packages with no leads at all?  Perhaps the
problem is not one addressed in IPC J-STD-001 but IPC-D-279 or perhaps
SM-785.

Guy