TECHNET Archives

July 2011

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2011 18:53:08 -0400
Hi Frank,

I have your doc posted here:

http://stevezeva.homestead.com/Rework_Instructions.doc

Looks like you're dealing in some tight quarters there, it really makes
things tough. Doesn't help that there are all of them unmasked vias around
either. Is the IC a QFN? I don't see any leads coming off it. Don't know
what the application is, so I can't comment on the suitability of this
solution. Generally from my experience, the customer is the customer, and
whatever solution is decided on, both the vendor and the customer need to
buy into it. and that's where having a real partnership with each other
makes a huge difference when trying to work through situations like this.

Nobody likes to have to resort to such measures as this, but shi...I mean
stuff, happens.

We've done some crazy things here. One of the latest ones was this:

http://stevezeva.homestead.com/Crazy_Mod_Inst.jpg

These were the instructions from our customer, and in all fairness they
asked first if we could do this. All we could do is tell them that we would
try. Take note that these are 0402's. It looked kinda' feasible on paper.
But what we didn't take into account was that the 120nH inductor was a
Coilcraft part with bottom only terminations. Below is what we wound-up
doing:

http://stevezeva.homestead.com/Crazy_Mod_Done.jpg

This is where having good, and I mean good, rework technicians is absolutely
priceless. I am constantly amazed at what our technicians can accomplish. A
similar mod had to be done at another location on the board, and thank
goodness we didn't have to do this on too many boards. As far as I know this
worked, and our customer was grateful.

Steve