TECHNET Archives

July 2011

From:
Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 2011 07:26:37 -0400
I always wondered how chromium was only banned in the hexavalent state - not trivalent or elemental chromium.  I guess stainless steel was recognized as necessary.  But lead is most dangerous in the oxidized state - lead in pigments and tetraethyl lead in gasoline.  To my knowledge, elemental lead in bird shot is about the only harmful occurance, and there the lead is worn away and reacted by acids in the digestive system, to become an oxidized state.

Would an intense electronics recycle program keep lead based solder around longer?  Seems to work for the car battery industry.

Denny Fritz