TECHNET Archives

July 2011

From:
Rex Waygood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Rex Waygood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2011 08:33:57 +0100
 Of course they probably get plenty of other things.
I think one of the other major contaminants from the poor recycling of WEEE waste is dioxin. I am sure many of us saw the TV programmes showing the poor recycling of western generated WEEE waste in India, Africa and China.
The removal of lead has done nothing for the millions of tonnes of legacy electronics still a potential for feeding the illegal recycling trade.
Whilst we still permit the export of WEEE waste dressed up as 2nd hand goods to countries where poor recycling takes place there is little or no environmental benefit that I can perceive from the removal lead in electronics. It is my understanding that one of the custom built WEEE recycling factories in the UK is running at half capacity whilst we still ship container loads of disguised electronic scrap to the countries mentioned. Each container reportedly earning thousands of pounds for the shipper of this material.
So possibly a better way of spending our £millions would have been to address and police the recycling chain. It seems to me that the environmental benefit would have been achieved quicker rather than the headline grabbing publicity stunt that best describes the removal of lead in electronics.

As they say, IMHO

Rex