TECHNET Archives

July 2011

From:
"Glidden, Kevin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Glidden, Kevin
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2011 13:43:22 -0400
LOTS of factors could cause this:

What type of connectors?  High pin cout?  Low Standoff?  Plastic or metal?  What type of flux and solder?  What is the cleaning process?  Batch or inline?  Water or Saponifier?  What is the rinse water quality?

Could be "dirty" connectors.  I don't know about the requirements for the connectors to be clean coming in.  Could be trapped flux residues indicating your cleaning process needs improvements to get out the residues from tight spaces / low standoffs, or that you need a chemical to remove non-water soluble contaminants.  Or better rinsing / rinse water to remove saponifier (if used).  Could be cleaning media trapped in or under the connectors.

If the cleaning process is truly robust, it would also remove residues from the "dirty" connectors too...

If you could find visible residues on the connectors before you touch them you could send them a lab to ID the contaminants.  That would give you what you are up against.

Kevin Glidden
Manufacturing Engineer
Astronics Luminescent Systems Inc.