TECHNET Archives

July 2011

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2011 07:02:20 -0500
Hi Rex - I would agree with you if the cross-section shows that there was
sufficient copper remaining in the PTH at the manual soldering process but
I don't know if we can make that assumption. As others have suggested, if
the PTH copper was "thin" at the pwb fabrication stage and the soldering
processes prior to manual soldering remove all or nearly all of the
copper, then it would not be surprising to see the solder wick straight up
the lead as there is nothing in the PTH for solder to wet. The group's
recommendation of having a cross-section done would eliminate a number of
possible root causes right away.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

Rex Waygood <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
07/28/2011 02:32 AM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Rex Waygood <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] AW: [TN] Missing PTH Barrels in Connector

I would agree.
From the description this is a fast process, the solder wicks straight up
the pin (one interpretation of this is that 'straight' means
'immediately'), copper dissolution takes time and wetting to a normal
barrel would be apparent and then degenerate as the barrel disappears. If
the barrel were very thin then it could disappear quickly. Have you done
as recommended and checked your barrels?

We have done experiments to measure dissolution in our wave. It is
significant and cannot be ignored. Rework cycles make this much worse.

Regards
Rex