TECHNET Archives

June 2011

From:
Date:
Wed, 29 Jun 2011 11:03:35 -0500
Arnaud,
We probably did not reply because we don't know the details. How thick is the PWB, and how far apart are the two vias? I did not understand what you meant by "strapping" in your earlier post, but now I think you mean jumpering? All kinds of potential issues come to mind. Is the CCA conformal coated? Do you have a picture Steve can post?
It's hard to tell a PCB/PCBA Technology Expert what he should do for modifications on his own flight control assembly if it is intended to be flightworthy.
If it was mine, I would bring it to a contract house with a good laser soldering system, along with a scrap board. The jumpers can be pre-tinned with extra solder and then laser soldered to the vias. This process precludes sending the BGA solder balls into reflow. Use the scrap board to develop the process and perhaps microsection it to qualify it, then perform the process on the flightworthy CCA and x-ray it. Re-inspect and re-test the CCA completely when finished. Coat the entire jumper with a good two part epoxy after inspection, along with a witness sample cured in the same oven at the same time, and test the hardness with a Durometer and record it on a mix record. Perform a fit analysis to ensure the finished jumper will not cause any fit issues. Make sure the round jumper wire will carry the current required by the original design, or by the modification. Refer to the crossover table in IPC 7721 for the current carrying capacity of flat copper traces and different gauge wires. Make sure you have supporting documentation from the customer in the form of an ECN or waiver. Perform ESS test and inspection to make sure there are no CTE issues that could weaken the jumper solder joints.