TECHNET Archives

June 2011

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2011 14:33:48 +0300
If I understand what you are trying to do, there is a strong chance you
may be disappointed. To do cleanliness testing, you simply cannot change
the base material because the hydrogen bonding and adsorption
characteristics of the contaminants will be different. To take extreme
examples: FR-4 and borosilicate glass. Because FR-4 is organic and the
glass is inorganic, the glass will normally be cleaner, as the flux
residues will be organic. Then the FR-4 does not have a smooth surface,
which the glass does, making physical adhesion stronger with the FR-4
because of the greater surface area. The FR-4 surface is porous and the
pores open when passing the glass transition temperature of the epoxy
substrate, allowing contaminants to be trapped in the first µm or two of
the surface. Glass does not have a porous surface to the same extent.

Sorry if I have the wrong end of the stick.

Many, many years ago, I came across a thick, transparent,
non-reinforced, copper-clad laminate made from a styrene copolymer. It
was designed for precise low-loss reflection-free microwave
applications. I remember that it cost an arm and a leg but I cannot
recall the details. I can't remember the manufacturer (Rogers Corp.?????)

Brian