TECHNET Archives

June 2011

From:
Gerald Bogert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2011 05:20:10 -0400
June 9, 2011

Some folks do burn-in of completed assemblies at 25C or 50C at longer
periods than 48 hours.  Some folks do ESS testing rather than burn-in
testing.  The type of testing depends a lot on how the individual
electronic parts in the assembly were tested.  For example, if the parts
are military specification parts that were subjected to burn-in testing
by the part manufacturer, then you have some level of confidence that
the parts you receive will be "reliable"; that is, the part manufacturer
would have weeded out weak-knee type parts during the burn-in testing.
However, if you purchase the parts without burn-in testing by the
manufacturer, then some type of burn-in or ESS testing at the assembly
level may be warranted.

Regarding burn-in versus ESS testing.  Although ESS testing can weed out
some % of defective parts, in my experience, if you do burn-in testing
at the assembly level followed by ESS testing, the % of additional
failures found by ESS testing is normally small since most of the latent
part failures would have been detected during the burn-in testing.  We
could argue the benefit versus cost of ESS testing.  Some folks mandate
it be done, others do not.  It all depends on the risk factor for the
equipment.  One advantage of ESS is that it is capable of determining if
the OEM manufacturing processes have changed over time and if these
changes are driving part failures.  So once you have qualified the
design, it may be worth the expense to do ESS on a sample basis over
time.

Regarding burn-in time duration, if you look at various military
specifications, you will find that the burn-in time period is much
longer than 48 hours.  However, this does not mean assemblies should be
burned-in for the same length of time.  One thing that some folks do
during burn-in is to verify power supply output voltages are not
drifting out of tolerance over time.  In some cases just testing for 48
hours may not be able to detect output voltage drift.