TECHNET Archives

May 2011

From:
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2011 12:29:01 -0500
I use one on my own scope in the process development lab, and I love it. I bought some for certain inspectors who use them all day long, now everybody wants one.
Not only is there less heat, but they don't have a large power supply light source hogging a lot of space on the workstation. Those halogen lamps are both hot and expensive also.
You can purchase LED ring lights relatively cheap online. I only paid $90 for mine, took a chance and bought just one, and it has been working well for a year now, no problems. I use mine sporadically, the inspector's are the same as mine but have been in production 20 hours per day, 5 days a week for almost 8 months, no problems. Mine is a 144-lite LED ringlight. We tried 60-LED and 90-LED ringlights and they were not quite bright enough. You can buy slightly more expensive 180-LED ringlights, although they are too bright on their highest settings, and you get complete washout. You can pay a lot more for certain brands of LED ringlights (up to $500 or more), but when we compared them they were essentially the same in terms of light output as the $90-$125 models with 144-180 LEDs. However, I have only had one for slightly longer than one year. Perhaps it may not last as long as the more expensive models. Another option on the $90 unit we use is that you can shut off any of the quadrants in order to better see certain images without glare. That is a truly handy option.