TECHNET Archives

May 2011

From:
Glen Herzog <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Glen Herzog <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2011 10:15:55 -0500
I believe that I can see the merit in James Smith's article in that many quality inspectors and managers do not have an involved quality background and, therefore, attempt to do what is expected of them by using standards as "cook books."  The novice cook doesn't dare vary from the recipe.  The Quality person with some education and experience in quality must recognize that the standard is a starting point that a committee has determine should help make an acceptable assembly.  If you are experienced, you should be able to do better than the standard.

We have all seen the inspector or quality engineer that demands that if the assembly does not meet IPC-A-610 it must be reworked or scrapped.  They fail to recognize that paragraph 1.4.2.3 allows "-- or use as is." as a disposition.  That is where quality indicators come from.  Often, - most of the time? - a defect is only a quality indicator from which the owner of the process should be guided.  The assembly need not be repaired. With as many inexperienced inspectors and engineers that industry is hiring these days, I can see how one can conclude that misusing the standards could engender higher production costs - and lower reliability.