TECHNET Archives

May 2011

From:
Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 May 2011 20:31:04 -0400
Patrick,

Your problem is very similar to the DoD depots where legacy electronics comes for repair.  Our group subcontracts to the Navy 2M (Miniature and Mircrominiature) repair operations.  2M has sponsored 30 additional test boards to the very large (200 board) NASA/DoD test program for all sorts of combinations of components, solders, board finishes and rework.  Our tests of repairing both SAC and eutectic solders with good old eutectic solder is that this is the "least bad" alternative, where exact solder joint composition cannot be determined. That is, just keep eutectic solder on the repair bench if you are exempt from RoHS.  This testing goes through harsh environment - -55 to +125 thermal cycle, vibration, drop shock, and combined vibe+thermal.   Final results of this "repair only with eutectic" will be presented at SMTAI this coming October.

Denny Fritz