TECHNET Archives

May 2011

From:
"Thayer, Wayne - IIW" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Thayer, Wayne - IIW
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2011 18:12:56 -0400
Hi Jim-

The harder Rogers materials will have very little affect on the press-fit design if the holes are well made and within spec--size, plating, and surface finish are all very important.  I think 403 is the hard stuff, so you should be fine. (the mushy Teflon based stuff probably won't provide enough swaging force to get a gas-tight seal between the metals.)

One time I had a problem with a press fit with ImSn finish.  The pins splintered due to their hardness--not much splintering, just small slivers at the corners of the pins.  That made for very difficult-to-find shorts.  The same system worked fine with HASL finish(Pb based).  If you are permitted to use Pb based HASL for this design, I believe it is the most forgiving for press fit.  For my case, perhaps the pins were just harder than they should've been.

Wayne Thayer