TECHNET Archives

May 2011

From:
Bryon Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Bryon Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2011 17:20:21 -0400
Hello Gregg.
If you disallow the individual strands to go where they need to go
during the crimping process, fractures will occur. Improper
displacement. We all want the best electrical connection we can get. IDC
has solidified (a pun) that statement.

Crimp a contact to a solid wire. Cross section it and tell me what you
see. Fractures within the solid wire. Nowhere for it to go.
Crimp a contact to a stranded wire. Cross section it and tell me what
you see. Proper displacement (as long as the contact and the wire are
within the gauges by design.)The strands are all in the cavities where
they need to be.

Bryon Boone
Technical Training Manager, CIT
Carlisle Interconnect Technologies