TECHNET Archives

April 2011

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2011 21:13:49 -0400
Hi Pearl,

So sorry to hear of your layoff, especially after devoting 15-years of your
life to one company. It goes to show that being a loyal employee in some
cases doesn't have the same value to employers that it once did, and I feel
that's a damn shame.

I also know that in this economy, many businesses are doing what they have
to do just to stay alive, and management gets forced to make some very hard
decisions when the going gets tough and there is no choice but to downsize.
I know I wouldn't want to be the one in the position who makes the decision
of who stays and who goes. I mean if you've downsized a few times since the
economy tanked, you are as lean as you can be, all you have left are your
best people, but then get hit with another downsizing, how do you choose?

But that being said, it doesn't make things any easier when you're the one
that's been handed the pink slip. I know, I've been there, was laid off back
in July of 2009 for the first time in my life...never was laid off from a
job. I was fortunate enough to be offered a position here in Allentown, PA.
Had to pick-up and move from Tulsa, OK out here. I've been out here over a
year and a half and still sometimes feel like I've not quite settled in yet.
But as time goes on I know it will come.

I know you said you don't want to move, but don't never say never.
Relocation isn't all that bad, and sometimes you need to go to where the
work is (if it's possible).

Anyways, sit back, take a deep breath, and know that there's something out
there for you. You've been doing this work for at least 15-years, so I know
you have the experience and skills that somebody will be looking for. Good
luck Pearl!

Steve Gregory