TECHNET Archives

March 2011

From:
"Upton, Shawn" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Upton, Shawn
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2011 07:38:35 -0500
I've had decent luck with simple counterpoises.  They are almost like making a dipole, in that the wire is about the nominal quarter wavelength.  Usually on the rig itself, attached to its ground lug, used with a long wire for an antenna.  [Although if I have an unbalanced antenna (like a vertical, or an inverted L) I have used them to keep RF off the transmitter, if I don't have a good earth connection.]

I'd think for the ham bands a counterpoise for 80m and 40m would work well (20m and 10m of wire, give or take), and might work well enough for all bands.  Length isn't critical, just run wires away from each other.  And they can be used inconjunction with any other grounding (earthing) scheme.

Shawn Upton, KB1CKT
Test Engineer
Allegro MicroSystems, Inc
603.626.2429/fax: 603.641.5336