TECHNET Archives

March 2011

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2011 09:23:52 +0200
I have good news and bad news!

The good news is that Clumpy's raft rose out of the waves, just like
Aphrodite, and he drove ashore on his John Deere.

The bad news is that he had not gone more than a few kilometres when he
had an accident. He did not realise that the left side of the road was
the right side and that the right side was the wrong side; the result
was a head-on collision with another John Deere, driven – and here was
the coincidence – by somebody whom he found was a very distant cousin by
the name of κλουμπιος. When the two stood side-by-side, you would think
of two peas in a pod. Happily, neither was injured although both the
John Deeres were badly damaged.

I'll get Clumpy to help rewire my office. At the moment, it is still
half-wired with Swiss sugs and plockets, which are strictly illegal, as
Cyprus uses the awful UK ring mains system which is a Leviticus-style
abomination unto mankind with monstrous fused plugs. The other half uses
the unsafe UK abortions but with cables trailing across the floor. I
have 38 power sockets ready for him, in 3 circuits: 1) generally
switched through the UPS to the various computers, monitors and
peripherals 2) switched through the same switch but bypassing the UPS
for power devices (UPS is limited to 1,500 W) and 3) unswitched for
plugging in phone, fax, desk lights, vacuum cleaners etc. In addition,
the poor bugger will have to rewire the Ethernet and connect computers
to scanners, printers, HDDs etc. A good week's work for him, I fear. The
great thing is the cousin κλουμπιος has offered to help, so there is a
chance that we may get it finished in time. I'm told that both the John
Deeres will be repaired and as good as new before the end of the week.

There is one thing that is puzzling me: Clumpy is chuntering about
pancakes tonight, with loads of lemon juice, squeezed straight from
fruit picked off the tree in the garden. Kλουμπιος cannot understand how
he can eat pancakes, because the orthodox Lent started yesterday on
Green Monday. It is very difficult explaining these sectarian differences.

Brian