TECHNET Archives

March 2011

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2011 13:11:14 -0600
Hi Paul! Yes, I have started to experience the same issue. We recently had
one component fabricator offer "white bronze" as a possible solderable
component lead finish option (just the metal alloy, no surface finish).
White bronze is a copper/tin/zinc alloy and I am guessing that its
JSTD-002 solderability response would be less than happy without using an
active flux material. Also, without a barrier plating, a component using
white bronze could have a issue with dezincification which degrades the
solder joint integrity.

And if I included  "it depends" in my response, I would have to pay Doug
another Diet Mt. Dew.  : - )

Dave

Paul Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
03/02/2011 11:56 AM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Paul Edwards <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] Recommended Reflow Peak Temperature Using Sn63Pb37 Solder and
SAC305 Finished Component Leads?

Dave,

I concur in most cases but I am starting to see new RoHS lead frame
material that doesn't appear to have any surface finish on it that only
wet with more heat on longer soak times...

Again "it depends"...

Paul

Paul Edwards
Process/Quality Engineering