TECHNET Archives

March 2011

From:
Donald Vischulis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Donald Vischulis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Mar 2011 20:24:05 -0500
Actually, it's all of the above.  The laminate gets tested, then is fabricated into a coupon, coated with solder mask and is tested again.

There are some who have used the word racket in conjunction with UL.  The laminate manufacturer pays to have product tested to UL94.  Then the fabricator manufacturer produces UL94 and UL796 coupons and pays UL to test.  Successful testing allows the fabricator to pay UL an annual fee to be able to manufacture UL recognized components.  Other manufacturers are required to use UL recognized components to mamufactore UL listed products.  These products are slso tested ($$).  Not using a recognized component requires additional testing ($$$).

To shorten a long story, UL recognition and listing only matters in the UL world of insurance companies and certain municipalities.  There is seldom a difference between a recognized and non-recognized component of an otherwise identical grade.  In a former life, we had an audit finding because the viton shrink sleeve was not UL rated.  The difference between the rated and unrated product was the printing on the tube.

Don Vischulis

Sent from my iPod