TECHNET Archives

March 2011

From:
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2011 14:10:45 -0500
{I think this is the typical blister pattern we used to see during "IR Reflow". The blister appear spontaneously way from PTHs, ground planes and the like. I imagine that aggressive HASL could produce this also.}
RDS: I agree, but I believe Pradeep when he states that they would have seen that in their inspections during assembly.

{I am not so big on the water uptake theory. Baking does not seem to change the propensity for delamination.}
RDS: That is not at all true. Baking at the right time/temp and assembling/reflowing within a few minutes up to four hours afterwards has been proven to greatly reduce or prevent delamination, measling, z-axis expansion, and CAF. Refer to IPC-1601. It is very difficult to get any of those issues without the presence of internal moisture, even at lead-free reflow temps.

{I attended a lecture where the presenter suggested the aged or highly cured PWBs can physically absorb more moisture than boards that are not aged because the internal voids in the epoxy expand as more and stronger cross linking occurs. This is counter intuitive. Baking makes those voids larger.}
RDS:I have never heard that. I would imagine 99% of the resin crosslinking has completed within a few hours after cure. However, the whole idea of baking is the get the moisture OUT of any voids, abscesses, or pores just prior to processing.

{You can remove moisture in FR4 in hours but it takes days or months to reabsorb the same amount of moisture. Again, counter intuitive, but objectively demonstrable.}
RDS: Absolutely, positively not true. I have undertaken literally hundreds of bake studies using a precision scale to determine the rate of moisture removal and the rate of adsorption by using a condensing humidity chamber to first load the board to its saturated moisture level (the maximum amount of moisture a given PWB can hold), then baked the board and weighed the board every 30 minutes to determine its precise rate of moisture removal and the length of time needed to get to an "acceptable" moisture content (target:20% of saturation) at a given bake temperature (typically 105 deg. C.). Then, we remove the board from the oven, note the humidity level in the room, and weigh the PWB every half hour again to determine the rate of moisture re-adsorption to 80% of that level. The re-adsorption curve up to 80% of saturated weight resembles (remarkably so) the inverse of the evacuation curve, but yes, over a slightly longer time after that. However, I have never seen a standard PWB that did not re-absorb at least 80% of its standard moisture content from being exposed to "regular" room humidity within 8 hours. It depends on a number of factors, including the number of layers, the pre-preg type, the number of holes, cutouts, etc. in the board, and the amount of copper sheets in the layer stack-up, amongst other things. Read IPC-1601.

{Polyimide absorbs moisture at a greater rate than FR4.}
I think this is the typical blister pattern we used to see during "IR Reflow". The blister appear spontaneously way from PTHs, ground planes and the like. I imagine that aggressive HASL could produce this also.

I am not so big on the water uptake theory. Baking does not seem to change the propensity for delamination.

I attended a lecture where the presenter suggested the aged or highly cured PWBs can physically absorb more moisture than boards that are not aged because the internal voids in the epoxy expand as more and stronger cross linking occurs. This is counter intuitive. Baking makes those voids larger.

You can remove moisture in FR4 in hours but it takes days or months to reabsorb the same amount of moisture. Again, counter intuitive, but objectively demonstrable.

Polyimide absorbs moisture at a greater rate than FR4.

Sincerely,
Paul Reid

Program Coordinator
PWB Interconnect Solutions Inc.