TECHNET Archives

February 2011

From:
Chris Mahanna <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Chris Mahanna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2011 10:54:38 -0500
Hi Bill,

3A has been around for quite a while.  Originally it was a laundry list of supplants that the aerospace primes used.  In our opinion, the intent was for specifiers to line item choose those supplants, as a type of standardization.  Other aerospace primes always used the whole list (because it was their list).  This created a great deal of confusion in the industry, for many years.  With the movement towards more and more sub tier assembly (I guess the trend maybe reversing again now) the confusion became untenable.

With Rev C, it is now a vetted, reconciled list of agreed upon requirements from the participating quorum of aerospace users and suppliers.  (Tongue-in-cheek, evidently some of the stakeholders forgot to participate.)

Which brings us to today, where specifiers are insisting on 6012B, which in my opinion is a nightmarish contractual decision; not impossible, but a very ugly contract.

I know, too much information.  But, if it is all-of-sudden on your radar, it probably is because of some of this consternation.

Chris

Chris Mahanna
President, Technical Manager
Robisan Laboratory Inc.