TECHNET Archives

February 2011

From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2011 10:39:51 -0600
Although you inhabit a different world than I do (you are in the real world,
I am in a theoretical cubicle), I still have to question this philosophy. If
an electrical engineer has determined that he needs a 50mil gap (after
derating for fab allowances, of course), and some kind of plating or
contamination problem has reduced the desired 50 mil gap to a slightly over
the 6-10mil minimum you used in your example, and your inspectors are
trained to only look at the minimum, then acceptance of these boards could
be a risk, in my mind.

I'm not suggesting that your inspectors need to know the intent of the
designer, but this example is clearly rejectable in IPC-A-600 2.10.1.2

I'm just sayin'....

Jack

.