TECHNET Archives

February 2011

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2011 06:46:33 +0200
All three questions were addressed in a book I wrote in the early 1980s.
One point I must emphasise: do you mean free chlorine used to disinfect
drinking water or do you mean chloride anions? Chemically and
electrically, there is a world of difference and you (and those who
answer you) must be precise in this terminology. Only chlorides will
show up in an ionic contamination test. One problem is the method used
in chlorinating drinking water; some small communities may use sodium
hypochlorite which liberates free chlorine enough to kill off
microorganisms but each bug will cause it to form a  molecule or two of
sodium chloride. The latter may improve the sales of antihypertensives
in the local pharmacy!

I agree wholeheartedly with your point 3 and have promoted low pressure,
high volume cleaning as being preferable since my erstwhile company
introduced its first aqueous cleaner in 1975.

Re airknife "cleaning" (also discussed in my book, now out of print),
good airknifing from multiple angles (we used rotary airknives) at
velocities of the order of 50-100 m/s will remove at least ~90-95% of
the water and the residual contamination dissolved therein. Very often,
even with non-DI water, this is largely sufficient as the remaining
evaporative drying, even under components, leaves very little and often
fairly harmless (e.g., calcium carbonate) residues. Qualification
testing of your whole soldering/reflow/cleaning/drying processes is
nevertheless necessary.

Brian