TECHNET Archives

February 2011

From:
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2011 10:36:07 -0600
No-clean flux residues are not allowed on most military high-rel contracts, as they can be just as bad as RMA or even OA flux residues. I do agree that RMA flux residues should be cleaned, and that is also a requirement.
For RMA, we clean using a solvent, followed by machine wash with a good saponifier. This is a good method of ensuring all flux residues and other contaminants are removed. We perform ROSE testing daily, and we also perform IC testing periodically to ensure the CCAs are clean. Cleaning with just the solvent method, or just the saponified DI wash, but not both, has never been able to consistently pass. The solvent should be something other than IPA, which is not a good cleaning solvent.