TECHNET Archives

February 2011

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2011 12:39:32 -0500
Well, you could do it with just about any car if you had the right video editing equipment...

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx5y7v7tJxs&feature=related

Unless the driver has his Dick Tracy watch on, he's not able to defy gravity at that speed.  A projectile is still subject to the force of gravity, right/  The vehicle is probably going 150mph so lets do some calcs and see what happens..

http://www.craville.110mb.com/calculators/proj.php

Firstly, let's look at what values we know:

Initial Velocity = 67 ms-1
Initial Angle = 0 degrees
Horizontal Velocity = 67 ms-1
Vertical Velocity = 0 ms-1
Initial Height = 20 m

I guessed at height of tunnel, asssumed the car was at the top racing upside down.  Immediately, it seems to me it begins to fall so there's only momentum carrying it forward (no tire contact with the ceiling).  So how far can it travel before it hits the floor of the tunnel?

135.36044097 m.

So... QED, the film is a fake.

Or, the car is powered by Mountain Dew.

Bob