TECHNET Archives

January 2011

From:
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2011 12:13:34 -0600
Four of the companies I work for use Sonofluxers. I don't really know much about any other brands so I cannot speak to those. The Sonofluxers work very well, but I just wanted to point out that all ultrasonic fluxing systems require careful maintenance of the fluxing system as a whole. I once traveled to a location to fix solder icycling and solder stringing issues on the bottom of the CCA. It was caused by clogging of the orifices in the flux head due to separation of the solids in the flux in the tank. The flux sat more than 30 days, and when it got down to the bottom 2 or 3 inches of sludge in the flux tank it would clog up. If RMA flux is left in the fluxing system for several days without cleaning the system, it becomes very, very difficult to clean it out; kinda like hardening of the arteries. Water-soluble flux is not as bad, but it can still clog up, so same issue.
All four locations take the fluxing system apart every night and clean it out, including the US spray head. This only takes about 10 minutes for an experienced operator. The tank is emptied and cleaned and refilled with fresh flux weekly. If this maintenance is performed diligently, the Sonofluxers work very, very well.