TECHNET Archives

January 2011

From:
Don McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Don McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2011 06:46:22 -0700
Hi Jeff,

I believe that no stress relief is bad because you do not want to have the component under tension in the assembly where it could be affected by any shock (thermal, mechanical, etc) or vibration incident. Equate this to stringing a guitar...we want to keep tension off of the string/leads to prevent the reverberation  that would occur if it were to get "strummed".

I believe the intent with having a minimum of 1 lead diameter (but not less than 0.8mm) of spacing from the edge of the component body/bead/weld is to prevent stressors from being applied directly to that termination on the component that would end in the eventual fracture or weakening of it. Simply by having this spacing and by following the table describing the minimum bend th lead radius described in the standard, you would have formed adequate stress relief for most cases...the addition of loops in various forms may be required for specific scenarios, but that should be detailed in procurement docs and not assumed by the manufacturer.

In summary, these 2 items are very closely related, but are in place for different reasons. By having stress relief in the lead, we have slightly reduced the chances of an improperly formed lead (bend radius started too close to body) causing an incident in the field...hence it's required for Class 2,3.

I hope that this helps.

Don McFarland

Sent from my iPhone