TECHNET Archives

January 2011

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2011 14:38:16 +0200
How clean should an assembly be? The answer is clean enough. What
climatic conditions? What type of residual ions? What reliability? What
lifetime? What components? What make of instrument? What testing
solution? What temperature? Etc. Even if I had the answers to all these
and other questions, I still couldn't give you a figure in µg/cm² eq.
NaCl. The only way of handling this type of question is to make up a
batch of 20 or 30 assemblies and clean them as you do habitually,
knowing that they are unlikely to cause problems in service. Measure the
ionic contamination on each one and determine the arithmetic mean and
standard deviation (SD) of the batch. Draw a histogram of your results
and superimpose the SD curve. Are they of similar shape without undue
skew? If so, your process is reasonably well controlled. I would suggest
you do subsequent tests, say, 5 x /day, assuming continuous production.
If the results fit consistently within the SD curve for a given number
of tests, or thereabouts, you know your process is under control and you
can sleep tranquilly at night with both ears on the pillow. If you see
the results starting to drift away from the SD curve, either you are
wasting money by over-cleaning or your cleanliness is becoming doubtful.

For further info, see pp 250-257 of a well known book that explains this
statistical approach, which I have advocated since 1979, when I put the
first computerised ionic contamination tester on the market, with
software that used this method automatically. It gives typical
acceptable and unacceptable SD curves. In my opinion, this is the only
logical way of using such instruments.

Brian