TECHNET Archives

January 2011

From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2011 09:50:21 -0600
Thanks, Jim and Doug

This assembler is asking for 150mils.
One reference I found suggested creating an area defined as a NO COAT zone,
and defining the area to be COATED, separated by a neutral zone that wouldn't
be inspected either way.

This could easily be done in the design by just "drawing" the neutral area
between zones with a 60 mil width (90mils away from the connector example
used below). Does that sound reasonable? or am I thinking wrongly? (or am I
over-thinking this whole scenario?)

The DFM mantra inspires me to keep these downstream processes in mind, and
maybe the 150 mils is a combination of coated, notinspected, notcoated
clearances, but it sure ties my hands during component placement around
these areas.

Jack

.