TECHNET Archives

January 2011

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2011 15:10:09 +0000
Many years ago when the world was less informed than now, I was having
trouble getting people to understand "solderability" and its relationship to
plating.
So I had some paper tissues coated with Sn/Pb. They looked just like un
etched but plated circuit boards.

So I continued to rabbit on about wetting, spread and so on and how just
because you can plate something doesn't mean you can solder it.
Generally to the majority audience's continuing incomprehension, but
then.... It all made sense when I asked a volunteer from the audience to
touch this test substrate with a hot soldering iron. On turning the now
holed substrate over in explanation, someone would invariably shout 451! and
I knew the message had got home.

:)

Regards

Mike
ü Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail