TECHNET Archives

January 2011

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2011 10:35:27 +0200
I've seen far worse than that! Outstanding in my memory are a number of
boards comprising an NC control, manufactured by a large well-known
German company, used in the controller for a precision grinder. This was
in about 1972 or 73 and the boards were single Euro cards, PTH with, of
course, conventional components. This was in the days before solder
masks were common.

The assemblies were wave soldered, using a thick layer of halogen free
flux, activated by a carboxylic acid. This was almost a sine qua non
with this particular manufacturer, who promoted this technique into DIN
standards.

The solder side was obviously coated with a thick layer of solder,
mostly because the solderability was doubtful. The conductors on the
component side were in bare copper. On the faulty boards, the latter was
totally corroded away in many places, but particularly round the plated
through holes where the molten flux had penetrated upwards. Remember
that this was not a grand public application, but a supposedly highly
professional bit of electronics.

Where did the error lie? In my opinion, the electronics for a grinding
machine should never have been put into an ordinary cabinet with
ventilation louvres, but into a hermetic enclosure. Why? Because
grinding machines require lubrication and that lubrication forms a mist
which pervades the workshop, including into the electronics. Worse, the
lubrication consists of a water-soluble oil which may be 80 or 90%
water. The electronics were therefore subjected to a perpetual water
mist, with the results that may be expected.

I don't know whether the choice of housing of the electronics was
offered by the NC controller manufacturer or that of the grinding
machine manufacturer. Whatever, it was a fatal and costly mistake. I was
consulted to determine the cause of the corrosion, although anyone who
is blind in one eye and couldn't see with the other would have been able
to see that straight away. Unfortunately, it proved impossible to house
the electronics in a hermetic box, because the servo motor controllers
ran very hot and needed that heat evacuated by good ventilation. I
compromised and recommended a box which was minimally ventilated but
purged with compressed air impinging on the servo motor controllers.
This provided a slight positive pressure, sufficient to keep the mist
from entering the box. I don't consider this was ideal but it seemed to
do the trick.

Brian