TECHNET Archives

January 2011

TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Inge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2011 00:06:47 +0100
I bought a digital temperature equipment, consisting of a inhouse table unit
and a outdoors unit. Cost = 25 USD. Cheap? Yes. But let's have a look on
inside after the problem, which started just a few weeks. You can read the
inside temperature, clock works, date works, and you can use the alarm and
shift between the four channels, but the receiver does not take in the
signals from the little sender on the  wall any more. I dismantled the box
and marvelled when I saw the shit I payed for. It's a wonder that there are
any functions working at all! Now, what caused the dead receiver was a flow
of iron from one screw (upper left  corner ) . There is a bridge of
corrosion products  (brown and green) from the screw to the thermistor (RT)
continuing to the rest of the circuitry.  When I washed the card and dried
it, the reciever worked again,

Now, folks, here comes a question for the sharp TNetters:

"How can the screw be so rusty and deliver iron ions when it's not connected
to anything? It's just torqued into the plastic body. The other screws are
identical, but  have not been involved in anything. "

The box has been on the kitchen table and has not been exposed to humidity
or any else abnormal condition.

The two 1.5 V batteries are removed on the pics.

Hope the gregorian Steve will help me with the photos.

/Inge