TECHNET Archives

December 2010

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:45:40 +0200
No, Kenny, they are very different species, albeit of the same genus.
Major differences: italica has shorter 'arms' and longer 'genitalia';
colour; height; flower density; leaves etc. Descriptions from
http://www.cypenv.info/cypnat/files/angio/orchidaceae.aspx :

Orchis italica, Naked Man Orchid

This is a sturdy plant with a rather coarse and deep green leaves with
wavy edges bearing a thick medium to long stem of numerous pink
man-shaped flowers, complete with 'genitalia' ; it often covers large
areas of grassland and hillsides. It grows to about 35 cm with a sturdy
green stem with a rosette of wavy-edged deep green leaves at the base,
without spots, and short whitish bracts. There is a densely packed
cylinder of quite large flowers in a tinge of pink shades from almost
white to nearly red. The hood has deeper coloured veins. The labellum is
pale in the centre with deeper spots and streaks. It is divided, like
some other closely related orchids, into three lobes, with the middle
one divided again into too long tips with a tooth between. In this
species the tips in the tooth are all long and narrow. There is a short
thick pale spur pointing down behind. This is the only orchids to have
wavy-edged leaves. Its colour and labellum shape and its profusion are
all helpful in identification. This is one of the best-known
Mediterranean orchids because it can be seen by many rural roadsides in
mid-to-late March and often advertises the presence of other orchids at
the same site.

(Source: extract adapted, with permission, from "the Orchids of Cyprus
and where to find them", written by Joan Hubbard and Pamela Scraton)

Orchis simia, Monkey Orchid

This is a compact plant with a rosette of light green leaves and the
rather dense flower head of monkey-shaped flowers: the coloured "body"
contrasting with the deeper "limbs". It has a slender green stem, about
20 cm high, with rather shiny light green leaves and pale pinkish
bracts. The flowers are densely packed in an oval shaped head which
looks whitish before opening from the top. The sepals and petals form a
hood, pale on the outside with streaks of purplish red. This pattern is
repeated in the centre of the labellum while the tips of all three lobes
are reddish purple; the middle lobe is divided again into two long tips
and a short tooth between them. All the tips are bent and angled and the
overall effect is of a monkey-shape with long limbs all over the place.
The spur is short and sturdy, pale and down-pointing. The flowers have
an unpleasant smell. This orchid flowers in late March and can be seen
in Limassol district and near the Larnaca Salt Lake. Outside Cyprus,
this plant is common in Europe and throughout the Mediterranean basin
and Middle East, as far as Iran.

(Source: extract adapted, with permission, from "the Orchids of Cyprus
and where to find them", written by Joan Hubbard and Pamela Scraton)

Brian