TECHNET Archives

December 2010

From:
John Goulet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2010 21:03:19 +0000
Hello Mumtaz

1. Looking at the pictures I see that it appears the damage was caught not in SMT inspection but after wave solder and the cleaning process. I don't see any No-Clean residue so it looks like water soluble flux was used.

 - I just realized these are customer returns. I don't know how thick the board is. The test operators could be causing the stress if connnecting to the coax connector and the board is not secured in a chassis. The only other step after final inspection if packing in the shippping area if the boards are shipped individually and not in chassis and not secured to a mother board. They may not realize how careful they have to be in handling them. The other end is the customer's receivers. You may have to audit the customer when the board arrives and they are unpacking and how they storing them.

2. Looking at the direction of the cracks towards the coax connector side of the board I wonder if they are using those slotted board racks rather than placing the boards down flat on a tray lined with an ESD mat. It would be important to check the QFN after reflow and again if the boards are cleaned after SMT to get the flux off within the time limit or to provide clean boards to pre-wave assembly. If the QFN are good to this point then the problem is in the following process steps I've included below.

3. Another possibility is if there is some stress in the area of the QFN when the coax connectors are inserted due to hole size or extra solder on the leads or holes. With the added weight of the coax connectors slotted board racks should not be used.

4. Another stress issue may be if spring loaded clamps are used to hold the coax connectors flush to the PCB. If the clamps are swung over and allowed to snap down, then stress could cause the problem. Trainig will correct the problem at wave solder.

5. Another stress point is in the handling of the boards and the orientation of the boards when they go in the cleaner. The heavy side must be toward the leading edge when put on the cleaner's conveyor belt. If the light end is leading then the board will be bouncing all the way through the cleaner and when the hot air knives dry the board. If the board is directly on the cleaning belt and not on specially designed nitril/carbon cleaning mats then many of the SMT parts will be stressed and the bottom ones knocked off when operators slide them out the exit end of the wire conveyor belt.

 See attachment. The attachment may help you if not with this issue, then with some other process improvements.

John Goulet

MFG Engineer