TECHNET Archives

November 2010

From:
Lamar Young <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Lamar Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2010 14:47:45 -0500
Doug,

I do not know of any papers specific to conformal coatings.  And as far as
coatings other than Parylene, I think other manufactures should supply
information.  But, we know a bit about Parylenes and have performed
several accelerated UV tests internally.

It is fairly well known that the normal C, N, and D Parylenes do not hold
up well to outdoor sunlight exposure.  However, Parylene HT (a fluorinated
version) that Kevin mentions below, is very UV stable.  We have performed
accelerated UV exposure in a UV chamber with over 2000 hours ASTM G154
with minimal impact (other Parylenes can't last to 100 hours).  We have
several successful outdoor projects with Parylene HT, such as coating LED
signs.  So depending on the application and the coating, it may be
possible.

Hopefully this sheds some light on your question.

Lamar