TECHNET Archives

November 2010

TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Inge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2010 22:24:54 +0100
John,

we have seen this a number of times,and I've been looking at some of these
cases.You can start with some brief examinations:

1. are there any solder remnants on the board pads. If so, how does it look
like? Randomly spread or ring formed along the pad's circumperifery?

2.apply a solder etchant that does not etch Nickel to get an opinion about
the solder wetting

3. apply a nickel etchant that does not etch solder to get an opinion about
the nickel covering, skip plating, IMC s

4. dispens a 50-100 micrometer solder paste on the failing board pads and
run through your oven.Wetting, dewetting or non-wetting.

You need a experienced person to do the tests and to interprete the results.
In right hands, often better than pages and pages of EDAX analysis.

Inge