TECHNET Archives

November 2010

From:
Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2010 16:16:28 -0500
John,

I wish I could say I am surprised at your results, but only a little.  BGAs perform very poorly in drop shock testing.  Both the original JCAA-JGPP study at

http://www.acqp2.nasa.gov/LeadFreeSolderTestingForHighReliability_Proj1.html

And now the results from NASA/DoD phase two - papers by Polina Snugnovsky and Tom Woodrow at SMTAI last month show that BGAs fail first of all the compents on the test boards!!   JGPP data shows that over 60% of the failure cause on JGPP boards is (drum roll, please) - the kind of component!!!  BGAs fail first in most all kinds of stress - thermal cycle, drop shock, vibration, combined environments, but by far the first in drop shock.

In the SMTAI report data from Polina Snugnovsky at Celestica - all but one BGA failed to pass 20 successive drops from JEDEC test procedure JESD22-B110A.   On the same board, all 90 chip scale components passed the same test.

My theory about the BGA failures is that the weight of the balls, and the distance the chip is from the board creates tremendous shear on the ball solder joints when dropped.  BGAs do significantly better in thermal cycle than the early failure demonstrated in drop testing.

That said, a one foot drop, one time sounds pretty mild and I would still examine the board closely.  Notoriously, ENIG finishes have suffered from "black pad".  You will need some EDAX elemental analysis of the board surface to get a feel for how much phosphorus shows up.

I don't think the mask defined pad can be the only issue, but typically, the mask defined pads are on the package, and solder is allowed to completly wet the pad on the board.   I trust the pad sizes are about the same on the package and on the board?  Finally, you may have access to a dye syringe, so that dye-and-pry testing can be done on the assemblies to see if there is already cracking of the BGA joints from thermal problems in assembly, or if there is a "head-on-pillow" issue of poor wetting of balls to the paste applied to the board for assembly. (presumes the assembler is using paste stencilling, and not just tacky flux direct to the ENIG pads on your board.

Denny Fritz
SAIC, Inc.