TECHNET Archives

November 2010

From:
John Goulet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2010 15:16:09 +0000
I cannot see the wave profile as it is not attached.

 One thermocouple needs to be glued to the plastic lense of the LED to check what the top preheaters are doing.

Possible problems, some arriving with the introduction of SAC alloys.

1. The plastic through which the leads exit the  LED body maybe reach the heat distortion range of the plastic, which is much lower than the melting temperature. The seal may be broken. This is a common problem with plastic headers where the pins are compatible for PB-free but the PTE material wasn't. Since LEDs are soldered to a ground the heat needed for a good fillet may damage the part.

You may have to adjust the profile to get an acceptable hole fill versus enough heat to get 100+ solder joint that you would prefer to have.

2. I've had LED failures that were the result of oxidation of the metal elements prior to the actual manufacturing of the LED.

    We had to make a tester where we plugged the LEDs into socketed test board and let them run all night (not sure exactly how longthe  test was)  and found failures without soldering nor cleaning. With the evidense in hand we purged the parts and had the vendor do a corrective action and got the process back in control eliminating the need for the test once we got good parts.

3. You didn't mention what type of preheaters you had on the wave. One of the things you should have at wave are Durastone or Durapol (high temp/ESD pallet material) blocks, some milled to have two sides to keep the block off the part but blocks an IR heat and lowers convection heat for ONLY the sensitive part. Lowering the heat to improve quality of one part can cause problems with other parts like power coils, power modules and large electrolytic capacitors. Another good type of protective cover to have is a square of this material milled out to form a pocket in the center to cover BGAs during the wave solder.

These are placed over BGAs for process for certain processes: thin pallet base transfers alot of heat or where long contact time and high heat is needed for other areas and parts of the board.

Hope this helps.

4. Check to see if the lead spacing of the LEDs match the hole spacing. If there is a preforming process going on then there could be stress related issues contributing. The variance could be between the people preping and installing the parts and over clinching the leads to either keep them straight or to hold them flush to the board because the pallet design isn't doing the job.

The leads must have .060" - .080" lead protrusion to wick up the solder. Anything more than a 45 degree clinch works against the wave process.

John Goulet

MFG/Process Engineer