TECHNET Archives

November 2010

From:
Michelle Masaitis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Michelle Masaitis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 2010 07:41:48 -0600
-   the through-hole LED in question is made by company "EOI ", and their
part number is  "EOZ-ZARNCD0-DG " (s
-   according to the component spec sheet  (enclosed), the maximum
temperature for the component is 260
-   the maximum temp and wave contact time we initially used is  249 , 4-6
seconds.  We saw some defects after first pass, usually about .2%, but one
month as high as 1.5%.   After successful testing, there were then some
latent defects that occurred at our customer or their end customer.  The
defects are erratic, sometimes the LEDs work, and sometimes they don't
-  the supplier recommended a lower temperature and shorter exposure profile
so we used SAC305 solder with maximum temp of 244.4 and 3 seconds.
There
were no defects after first pass and testing, but again we had some latent
defects occur at customer
-   for reference, we run many similar LED from other manufacturers
(OSRAM&Lumiled, also spec at 260) at temperatures of 251 and 4-7
seconds
and see no such problems.

Attached is a wave profile.

Please let me know if you seen a similar issue and what caused it.

Thanks