TECHNET Archives

November 2010

From:
Steven Creswick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steven Creswick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2010 12:38:25 -0500
Rocky,

I have no standard answer for what magnification to use.  A great deal
depends upon the specifications [requirements] you are obligated to meet,
and what your company requires.

I do not completely understand what you wish to 'check on the bonding wire'.
Possibly, you could explain further.

Personally, I do not place a great deal of trust in human visual inspection
for other than the basics.  Many of the things which I look for are visible
at low magnification [10-50X].  A great deal of the rest is why I do
statistical process work to keep the process under control.

Many times people become so narrowly focused on a small area [at high
magnification] that they overlook the obvious things [missed bonds, missing
wires, low loops, high loops, etc.] that are readily visible at low
magnification.

Regarding the size of the wire and pad.  Without understanding your product,
process and equipment an outsider can not give you a black and white answer.
I suggest that you review the bonding tool manufacture's sites to pick up
additional process information.  They generally do a good job of providing
guidelines and making suggestions [however, remember that YOU are the expert
when it comes to your equipment and your product.  If it fails in the field,
the blame will fall upon YOU - not them].

Here is the link to Small Precision.  I am certain that MicroSwiss/Kulicke &
Soffa is also represented in your area as well as other native suppliers
that I am not aware of.

http://www.smallprecisiontools.com/start-page/?oid=360&lang=en

Wire size - Often it seems as though the IC and bond pads are layed out
first, then the wire size is an afterthought.  If possible, use standard
wire sizes.  If 75µm square pad, using 31.75µm wire I would go with a
bonding tool having ~50-60µm bond foot if I could.

To make the process as robust as possible, one normally tries to keep the
bond foot as large as possible, yet still fit the bonding pad.  The smaller
the bond foot of the tool, the harder the process is to control.  Naturally,
the bond must be smaller than the bond pad itself.  I am sure that you have
observed that a bond tool with a bond foot of 50µm will create a bond which
is slightly larger than 50µm.  You can use this observation in estimating
what bond foot size to use.  A great deal depends on the bond pad geometry
and the metallurgy of the bond pad.  Frequently, the assembly will be layed
out so that the bond is across the diagonal of the bond pad, creating
additional room on the pad.

Since the IC typically has the smallest bond pads, it typically defines the
bonding tool geometry.

Depending on your product mix and quantity, it may be best to select the
best tool for each application, rather than have one general purpose tool.
An 'average tool' may give you 'average results'.  One should try for the
absolute best, if possible.

Possibly there are others with additional comments that may be of
assistance.

Steve Creswick
http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevencreswick