TECHNET Archives

November 2010

From:
Chuck Brummer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2010 08:28:53 -0800
Louis,

Boy have I got a lot to say on this one.  I will outline a few items here
but would be very happy to have a phone conversation  about what has
worked for me, what hasn't and the interesting problems I have run into.

The big three are:
-reliability vs cost,
-Spray Pattern vs what you want to accomplish,
-conveyor options, is what your transport thick, thin or other,

I have developer for Photo Coverlay that I paid very little for from one
of the off brand suppliers.  I did this because I thought I would only be
running it about four hours a week.  Five years later it is a workhorse
running about 14 hours a day and most weeks 6 days.  It does everything I
asked it for and very low operation cost and very high up-time.

Often fine line spray patterns are interfered with by conveyor parts.  I
hate it when a spray bar is directly over a set of conveyor wheels.  Look
carefully at where spray bars are placed so they spray directly on your
work.

Conveyors are more important than you think.  Make sure you talk to
someone who has a unit you are considering that is 5 years.  If he has
more than 4 conveyor issues a year reconsider that source.

Be very aware of your space requirement.  If you want a good process you
probably need more rinsing than you think.  Rinses take up space.  You can
get counter-flow options in your quote to save water.

good luck,

Chuck Brummer l 3M Manufacturing Engineer
3m Electronic Solutions Division--Flexible Circuits
8357 Canoga Ave. l Canoga Park, CA 91304-2605
(818) 734-4930
[log in to unmask] l www.3m.com l www.3mFlex.com